This internship is designed to meet practicum requirements of a student in a Social Work or related human service field. This goal is accomplished by providing exposure to ECFA as a whole, thus enhancing understanding of the world of domestic and international adoption, as well as the field of child welfare.
Exposure to the Agency:
- Meet individually with the Executive Director and the Director of Clinical Services for orientation to the Agency and the field of child welfare
- Meet individually with program supervisors (Foster Care, Pregnancy Support Services, Counseling) for general orientation to each of the programs
- Attend and participate in Agency staff meetings and in-service training
- Attend Agency sponsored functions such as retreats and fund raising and public relations events
Understanding the Adoption Program:
- Review and study the Adoption Manual
- Review Licensing Standards set up by DCFS for Foster/Adoptive homes
- Review Child Care and Adoption Acts
- Attend regular and special needs adoption orientation meetings
- Become familiar with Adoption Listing and Adoption Information Center
- Participate in Adoption Team meeting and psychological consultation
- Attend outside seminars and workshops related to adoption
- Depending upon the level of the placement (undergraduate or graduate) and the individual’s clinical skill, the intern may be assigned home study cases. Through this assignment, the intern will learn the technique of interviewing to gather psycho-social history, assess motivation, personality, marriage, parenting skills, and other factors relevant to adoption and parenting. The intern will also be assigned post placement cases, which will help the student learn to assess parent/child adjustment and the legal aspect of adoption.
- The intern will be given Master’s level supervision, or at the level expected by the school. The intern will be expected to turn in to the supervisor process recording and other assignments designated by the supervisor for supervisory purposes.
Relationship With The School:
The designated supervisor from ECFA will maintain contact with the appropriate official at the school and will perform all the tasks required to satisfy the internship experience for the student.
If you are interested in the Adoption Program Master’s Level Internship, please contact Barb Hellmer, Adoption Supervisor, at 630-653-6400.